13 Jan 2014

What I Drank Last Week.

Every Monday, I aim to tell you a little about the beer I enjoyed the week before in the hope that you will track them down and enjoy them too.

Moor Beer Co. - Raw
Style: Bitter
ABV: 4.5%

This one wasn't actually last week but it was so good I thought I'd tell you about it anyway.

The label described Raw as an uncompromising, stripped down Bitter. This caught my eye because I don't usually drink bitter, infact I almost find them boring, but this sounded much more exciting and it didn't let me down. A rich, smooth, full malt body perfectly leads to a satisfying bittersweet finish from the masses of hops used for dry hopping.

BrewDog - Brixton Porter
Style: Porter
ABV: 5%

Part of the Prototype 2013 range from BrewDog, if Brixton Porter wins (please!) It shall be brewed over and over again in 2014.

It's very rare that I drink darker beers, the odd Black IPA and maybe a few Whisky Barrel Aged Stouts when I can find them, but mostly I drink pale and hoppy IPA's. That is until I tasted this, from now on I shall not ignore the Porter style. A light but assertive body of roasted/toasted/coffee is backed up by lashings of hops and just enough bitterness to keep me coming back for more.

Crafty Dan - 13 Guns
Style: American IPA
ABV: 5.5%

Crafty Dan is better known as Daniel Thwaites, the founder of Thwaites brewery who's beers have never really had the 'wow' factor for me, these days they seem to be more about making money than making great beer as they have just started Craft Dan's Craft Brewery. Many of the UK's large Real Ale breweries are branching out into Craft beer as it becomes the latest fashion in the alcohol scene. I'll be honest, I was worried, I had this sinking feeling it would be all about the money and less knowledgeable people than myself could easily miss out on great craft beer by buying these in supermarkets and thinking they are the best.
I was wrong, 13 Guns shocked me by tasting how an American IPA should. I've had much better AIPA's but my expectations were beaten by miles.

Brixton - Electric IPA
Style: IPA
ABV: 6.5%

Again, this was before last week (it's my second ever post, deal with it) and it is worth shouting about. Brixton Brewery may soon become one of my favourite breweries with amazing beers and a great image. London is the world capital of Craft Beer in my eyes and you need to try this brewery.

So go out there and find these beers! Come back here and tell me what you think, was I right or wrong?

Visit again next monday for my top beers of the coming week, I'm off to Sheffield for a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment